Sunday 23 May 2010

Sunderland Book Jacket


So these last few weeks have been quite busy for me, and realising that I haven't updated this page in almost a month, I thought it was about time to get back on routine . . . until I leave for Norway this upcoming Bank Holiday weekend that is. Anyway, I figured I'd showcase a piece I've worked on for my Graphic Communications class here in Sunderland. The objective of the project was to create a book jacket which portrayed the city of Sunderland through my eyes, using only photographs of typography displayed throughout the city. Speaking of typography, this project was to be mostly typography based, but without the use of vectored typography available on the computer.

After collecting photographs throughout the city and talking with my tutor Keith Nevens (who really knows his stuff and is fantastic to work with by the way), he asked me if I liked living here. Truthfully, I do, and I don't think Sunderland's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. This negative image has come from all the visitors who hail from the surrounding cities, especially the Giordies from Newcastle who also don't like Sunderland due to the intense football rivalry. Keith suggested that it would be a greater challenge to go against my positive view of the city and create a negative piece however, and I agreed.

The photographs used in this project do not reflect on the way I think of the city of Sunderland, but I felt they were appropriate for the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment